Myibidder.com Forums
Myibidder.com|Forums|Register|Donate
User Id
Password
Forums logins require a separate registration.
No login yet? Register here
Forums IndexNew TopicReply

General Support for Myibidder service
General Myibidder support
eBay thought my account was compromised. What this caused by myibay? Tue Nov 18, 2008 03:15 PM Quote
etzeppy

I have used myibay a few times lately with good success. This morning about an hour after placing a bid though myibay, I received an email from eBay stating that my account had been compromised and I had to reset the password and some items to get it secured. The eBay tech stated that they had caught the problem before any unauthorized use of my account had occurred. I asked how they knew the account was compromised, and I got this response.

I know you want to know specific details about how this happen however, security precautions prevent me from discussing our proprietary tools and investigation procedures that led us to this action. I would like to inform you that eBay has started noting which computers members use. For your protection, if you attempt to sign in from an unknown computer - for example, from a library or hotel – eBay will make an automated phone call to your registered phone number to confirm your identity. It is now vital that the phone number and secret question on your account are kept up to date.

This sounds as if eBay detected the proxy bid from myibay as a security issue. Has anyone else has this issue? Is this something new?

Rate: - Rate: Reset Rate: +  Reply Top Last Message
 Tue Nov 18, 2008 04:56 PM Quote
Sashka
Support

It's not new, but like new.. eBay started to do those thing a few months ago.
AFAIK, this is done when you sell stuff on eBay, not when you bid. Although, only eBay knows how it's done.

I keep suggesting other bidders to update their password to something really good and strong (letters, non-dictionary words, digits etc) and it seems to be working well for them.

I got my "account compromised" just once when eBay had some issues with password database on their side.
Besides that it's all working fine for me (I change my password about 2-4 times per year or so).

Tue Nov 18, 2008 06:28 PM Quote
etzeppy

In my case I already had a strong password and had excuted a good number of bids through myibay in the past week or so. All of the sudden eBay seemed to think there was a security issue. It was odd. I just wanted check and make sure there was not some really new issue with them.

Tue Nov 18, 2008 06:41 PM Quote
Sashka
Support

etzeppy wrote:
In my case I already had a strong password and had excuted a good number of bids through myibay in the past week or so. All of the sudden eBay seemed to think there was a security issue. It was odd. I just wanted check and make sure there was not some really new issue with them.

That's interesting. We did not get any other reports like that from other bidders.
I'll personally keep my eye on it.

After you changed your password, did everything work fine?

Tue Nov 18, 2008 06:57 PM Quote
etzeppy

Sashka wrote:
That's interesting. We did not get any other reports like that from other bidders.
I'll personally keep my eye on it.

After you changed your password, did everything work fine?

They didn't even stop my bid this morning. The bid fired fine, although I lost anyway:( . I received the compromised account noice an hour or 2 later. I have changed the eBay password and have a bid scheduled later today. I will post back later and let you know how it goes.

Wed Nov 19, 2008 04:23 AM Quote
etzeppy

Everything seems okay now. This was very strange.

Wed Nov 19, 2008 04:37 AM Quote
Sashka
Support

etzeppy wrote:
Everything seems okay now. This was very strange.

eBay does strange things sometimes ;-)
But I'm glad it works good for you now. Thanks for update.

Forums IndexNew TopicReply