Myibidder.com Forums
Myibidder.com|Forums|Register|Donate
User Id
Password
Forums logins require a separate registration.
No login yet? Register here
Forums IndexNew TopicReply

General Support for Myibidder service
General Myibidder support
UK and other time zones plus British Summer Time Fri Jun 05, 2009 03:58 PM Quote
Foxfan100

I want to snipe an item on UK Ebay for which the closing time is 1930 hours BST (British Summer Time) which is GMT plus 1 hour i.e. GMT is 1830.
Myibay gives the ending time as 1130 PDT. As I understand it PDT is GMT - 7 hours.This would make the ending time 1830 GMT. Is the extra hour for BST taken account of - I can't see it for sure anywhere?

Does Myibay automatically adjust for time differences that occur in this way? In other words, should I worry about these various differences, and will I be sniping against the right times?

Rate: - Rate: Reset Rate: +  Reply Top Last Message
 Fri Jun 05, 2009 04:39 PM Quote
Sashka
Support

Welcome to our forums.

Myibay does not show closing time, instead it shows how many hours left until the end so this way you don't have to calculate your time difference.
If the "Time Left" is correct, you are fine.

BST etc Sat Jun 06, 2009 06:13 AM Quote
Foxfan100

Thanks for that.

I've been trying a snipe using the Myibay Firefox extension. When I select Snipe it with Myibay, the entry screen shows the ending time for the item in date and PDT time, which is what confused me.
Only when I've added the snipe to my list in Myibay do I see the time left in ddhhmmss, which is fine.

Sat Jun 06, 2009 04:06 PM Quote
Sashka
Support

Foxfan100,

That's right, that pop-up window shows PDT local time.
I changed it to Time Left to avoid confusions.
Thanks for spotting that.

Ending times etc. Sun Jun 07, 2009 06:33 AM Quote
Foxfan100

It's a lot better with the "time left" shown on the first entry screen.

In an ideal world, it would be nice to have the ending date and time, adjusted to and shown as the user's time zone/ daylight saving, AS WELL as the "time left" on the auction. That way all the relevant timing info would be visible at the same time when placing the snipe.

Sun Jun 07, 2009 07:30 PM Quote
Sashka
Support

Foxfan100,
You are right, but practically having a local time will add a confusion as some users expect eBay time.
Additionally, there is no good way to find out what is user's local time as that could not wrong (some users don't care or don't know how to set a time on their computers, some set it to the wrong Time Zone, etc).
Then, some auctions provide some European Time Zone (for example, Paris), while you may be located in Japan and your time is different.

I think having "Time Left" is the best way, as that does not relay on your Time Zones and any local computer settings you may have.

Forums IndexNew TopicReply